Industry: Power Generation
Location: Australia-Power Station
Circumstances: Programmed maintenance shutdown of General Electric PG6541 38MW gas turbine Cleaning options:
- Manual Cleaning: 12 days to manually clean, with 10 personnel using scotch bright and chemicals
- Dry Ice Cleaning: 3 days to clean utilizing 2 personnel & dry ice machinery
- IRS team mobilized to remote site with dry ice machinery, compressor and materials.
- Dry Ice Cleaning undertaken on site requiring 3 days utilizing 2 personnel & dry ice machinery
- More than 9 days saved over traditional manual cleaning meaning the equipment was back making money much quicker
- Cleaning was much more thorough, equipment owners reported increased efficiency of the turbine compared to the efficiency following previous methods of cleaning
- No occupational health & safety issues such as cuts & scrapes which normally occur during manual cleaning.